In solis sis tibi turba locis (In solitude, be a multitude to thyself) Tibullus I surely have no problems with this. As much as I agree with Montaigne when he says we need solitude, I think that arriving to a new country or a new city is the best time for a retreat with yourself. I've always done that for a few days at least (to entire weeks), in any new place I was settling for a bit longer than just holidays. Is it to absorb the surrounding atmosphere, take a deep breath of the environment and appreciate it on your own. The timing is ideal, you are on site, but not really yet, which gives a kind of freedom that one gradually looses - voluntarily - while integrating a society. Once you'll have lost it , you'll seek to get it back again etc... The first moments are magic. And here, in F. with the beach within bike reach, solitude can be a luxury. Who needs people to go to the beach with? it's like going to the movies , or...
Things are not always what they seem to be. Ok we all know that. But are we really aware of the huge gap between what we think they are, what we see, and what they are (supposedly) in "reality"? When I had made an appointment with the surgeon for my cornea transplantation, I was so scared that I strongly believed I was going to die. I know it may sound funny, and exaggerated. But I knew it. It was not that I was afraid of having some complications during the surgery, and loose an eye, or that the intervention was especially dangerous and could cost my life. It was not the result of any reasonable thinking. It was just a diffuse feeling telling me that, inevitably, there would be no tomorrow after I'd have stepped into hospital. I was afraid of the hospital building itself, of the nurses, of the blood tests, of the needle they would stick into my hand for anesthesia. That fear could have killed me easier than anything else, I guess. However, once i...
There was this sax player who took a pair of dice out of his pocket after the concert and made us play. Without any kind of stake. Just throwing dice. I was the first to give up, and went to dance for that, at least, made some sense to me. "Les jeux sont faits." I remember the one and only time I somehow ended at a roulette table in a casino. I lost the twenty euros left I had in my pocket straight away and decided I was definitely not going to try playing ever again. Just made sure I'd get my money back on the free drinks and cigarettes the casino was offering to its guests and left the place. I do like the aesthetics of the roulette wheel though.The sound of the ball spinning. Surrounded by the silence of expectation. The ball rolls and rolls and you can only wait to see where it ends. No matter if you played big or nothing at all, you just get into it. There's always this ultimate moment when you let go because you placed your bets and. ... " Ri...
Comments
Post a Comment